Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ah, the joys...and the sorrows

First I would just like to say: Robin Hallberg, my aunt in Australia, has died and left us. Although I didn´t see her enough I can see that strangely the heart that was so large and inclusive when it came to family and friends failed to give herself that same strength. She leaves family, for whom I feel deeply. If you should ever read this though, Emilie/Eun Mee my cousin - congratulations to you and Angelo. I am glad to hear the news!!

On a selfish note again:

Well - we have experienced the full onslaught of another one of the perks of this area the estate agents don't tell you about - the flies. "GAAAHHHRRRGGGHHH I can´t stand it anymore Fuxx OFF" is now an expression heard all over the valley. A nice plumber told us today that our place has been the worst infestated he´s seen. Got to go clean, perhaps?
Back to the subject - if you are ever going to live in Spain, in the countryside, think NETS. Nets for the almonds, olives and carobs, nets to protect and shade the vegetable plants and, VERY IMPORTANTLY, nets/string curtains for all possible openings in your house. I can understand the Aussies now, with their cork hats. I would like a cork hat with a brim so wide the corks hung down to my feet, in little tight rows. Unpractical perhaps but blessed relief!! And apart from the normal flies you also have the bees who are coming from far and beyond now that all natural watering holes are dried up, sussurating around anything that contains water - like your dogs water bowl, or the barrel of water used to mix cement. Learned a wicked (and, incidentally illegal, so keep quiet will you?) trick though - put a tablespoon or so of cooking oil (of any kind) into the water you want to keep bees off of. They will come, but they will die. Not nice (and we are going to try to give them an alternative watering area, away from the house), but neither is people and dogs stung to clown-dimensions by bees protecting "their" water...List of hardship don´t stop there, oh no my friends, - then we have the feared blackfly!! A tiny, 2 mm big little fly that bites like a pissant and leaves nasty marks - starts after the sun has gone down, loves it when you are in bed. Feared all over! However, folklore says there is a cheap moisturiser available, even the men can tell you the name and the colour of the bottle/text - that these little bastards hate. I will get a supply and report back.
Apart from these moanings all is well, and as usual when I can´t be bothered to write anymore and the food is getting ready and needing attention: PICTURES!

This is quite a long story...but this plaque, found in a ruin while foraging with my parents, was quite a surprise. Thanks Steve!
















Starting to look a bit more like a house,


eh? Sort of.

Sorry guys, I did try to get them right but they turn up like this whatever I do. Sod this - blogs seem to be for people who don´t have a job, a partner, a house, a ruin, a garden, animals, a midsummers party to organise...No offence meant at all.


DINNER!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home